- 1 Tbsp dry chia seeds
- 10 oz water
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp agave, honey, stevia or other sweetener
Iskiate, or Chia Fresca, is one of the staples of the Tarahumara tribe from Copper Canyon in Mexico. This tribe is famous for it’s love of running very long distances while seeming not to tire. These amazing athletes are known to use a mixture of Chia Seeds and water, called Iskiate, to sustain their bodies over long distances. This “superdrink” is the perfect addition to a runners diet and even as part of a weight loss regimen. Read more about the extraordinary benefits of Chia Seeds.
- Combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with 10 oz. water in a glass. Chia seeds absorb nine times their weight in water, making for an effective timed release of water and nutrients later.
- Stir the mixture gently with a spoon to keep the seeds from sticking together.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes. When chia seeds in water are soaked for 10 minutes, they form a gel with the consistency of yogurt.
- Add 2 tsp lime juice and 2 tsp of your sweetener of choice to taste to your chia gel.
If you plan to use this mixture during a run, be sure to add extra water when soaking the chia seeds. Because of their ability to absorb water, if not soaked in enough they can actually dehydrate your body.