When Cleopatra bathed with milk, she did so for a good reason. Milk contains alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), making it one of the best homemade facial cleansers. Milk leaves your skin soft and supple. besides being present in milk, AHAs are also contained in vinegar, grapes, lemon juice, oranges, tomatoes, blackberries, and apple juice. They help to break down the bonds of dead skin cells on your face, thereby enabling them to be easily removed and leaving your face clean and with a beautiful glow.
AHAs cleanse the outermost layer of your skin. This enables the natural emollient oils produced by your body to reach the surface of the skin. These oils moisturize your skin naturally. They cleanse the oily skin and combat blackheads. Perhaps that’s why the cosmetic industry is in deep love with AHAs. Almost every beauty product screams of containing this magic ingredient. However, it is best to stick to homemade facial cleansers rather than subjecting your skin to chemicals for the “AHA effect”!
10 Homemade Facial Cleansers
- Tomato – Drain its juice and mash the tomato. Apply it on your face for 20 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Lemons – Cut a lemon and rub it over your face. It works as an astringent.
- Oatmeal – Make a paste of oatmeal and water. Apply it on your face for 20 minutes. This is the best for oily skin. Instead of water, you can also mix juices of orange, strawberry, or lemon. Use this mixture twice a day for 15 days for best results.
- Fruits – Strawberry juice, pulp of watermelon, or papaya are wonderful face cleansers.
- Honey and apple – Grate an apple and mix a few drops of honey. Apply it on the face for 10 minutes for a supple feel.
- Cinnamon and honey – Mix honey and cinnamon and apply the mixture on your face overnight. Honey traps the dirt and removes it when you wash off the mask in the morning, leaving you feeling fresh and beautiful.
- Milk and nutmeg – Mix milk and ground nutmeg. Apply it on your face every night and leave it for 60 minutes. This homemade face cleanser opens pores and deep cleanses the face.
- Salt and water – Dissolve some salt in warm water. Dip a washcloth into it. Dab it over your face. DO NOT rinse. Leave it overnight and wash your face in the morning. Salt has drying properties, so use this treatment at night.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar. Drain excess vinegar from the cotton ball and dab it on your face. Apple cider vinegar extracts oil from the surface of the skin and kills bacteria. You can also dilute it with water.
- Ice – Rub an ice cube over your face to shrink your pores. Ice also helps in subsiding pimples.
The benefits of homemade facial cleansers start appearing as soon as you begin using them. Your skin feels soft and supple. Homemade facial treatments bring a drastic change in your complexion. By making your own facial cleansers your skin is also saved from the harsh effects of chemicals found in synthetic cleansers.